The living legend talks to editor Erica Worth inside
Chinese superstar Lang Lang will appear on the cover of issue 117 of Pianist, out on 20 November.
In an exclusive interview, he talks to editor Erica Worth about married life with wife Gina Alice Redlinger, maturing in his career and what Bach’s Goldberg Variations have taught him about life.
Earlier this year, Lang Lang performed the Goldberg Variations at the famous St Thomas Church in Leipzing, Germany – famously the church in which Bach is buried. On Bach, he comments to Deutsche Grammophon: "The more time I spent with the Goldberg Variations, the more I wanted to know about Bach, his contemporaries and the composers he later inspired."
Elsewhere inside issue 117 of Pianist...
- The brand-new 2021 Piano Buyer's Guide
- 40 PAGES OF SCORES: 13 pieces to learn, from beginner to advanced level, plus four festive pieces – Franck’s Vieux Noël, MacDowell’s By Smouldering Embers, Tchaikovsky’s ‘December’ and an arrangement of Holst’s In The Bleak Midwinter
- Masterclass No 1: Graham Fitch offers up practice exercises for the pieces we’re learning
- Masterclass No 2: Mark Tanner on the importance of good posture
- Three 'How To Play' lessons from teacher-pianists Lucy Parham, Nils Franke and Melanie Spanswick
- The curved finger debate: If Horowitz played with flatties, why should we strive for the perfectly-curved hand shape? Warwick Thompson investigates
- Yamaha’s new Clavinova 700 Series is put to the test
- DEADLINE APPROACHES! Just a couple of weeks left for your chance to Win a Kawai piano in our 2021 Composing Competition. ENTER HERE
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO LESSONS for all levels – from Graham Fitch, Chenyin Li, Tim Stein, Martin James Bartlett and more
- Reader Competition: Win a 2021 Boosey & Hawkes music diary
Images: ©Gregor Hohenberg
Enjoy our Best of Lang Lang playlist below