The superstar's new solo album will be released on 29th March
Legendary Classical pianist Lang Lang is returning with an all-new solo album ‘Piano Book’ – a collection of pieces that first inspired him to play the piano as a child and led him on his path to international stardom.
‘Piano Book’ gathers together many of the compositions that Lang Lang - and millions of other piano learners - have grown up with. 'I want to take every music lover on a journey through my favourite piano pieces,' he explains. 'I hope to inspire as well as motivate every piano student to remain focused during daily practice, and to play and understand these essential pieces for what they really are: true masterpieces!'
As well as choosing miniature classics, the Chinese pianist has also specifically hand-picked pieces that represent cultures he has visited on his travels. These include the popular Chinese Jasmine Flower and Sweden’s Limu, Limu, Lima. 'I got to know wonderful music through my trips to many different countries and wanted to present some of this music on my album.'
A full three years after his last release – ‘New York Rhapsody’ in 2016 – we’re incredibly happy to have him back! Coincidentally, Lang Lang was our cover star back in issue 61. Read his full interview inside.
Get a peek at the album listing below. See any of your childhood favourites?
Piano Book tracklisting:
- J.S. Bach: Prelude in C Major, BWV 846 [The Well-Tempered Clavier: Book 1, BWV 846-869]
- Beethoven: Bagatelle No. 25 in A Minor, WoO 59 "Für Elise"
- Richter: The Departure
- Mendelssohn: 4. Presto "Spinning Song" [Lieder ohne Worte, Op. 67]
- Debussy: 3. Clair de lune [Suite bergamasque, L. 75]
- Debussy: 1. Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum [Children's Corner, L. 113]
- Chopin: 15. Sostenuto in D-Flat Major, C. 180 "Raindrop" [24 Préludes, Op. 28, C. 166-189]
- Mozart: 1. Allegro [Piano Sonata No. 16 in C Major, K. 545 "Sonata facile"]
- Clementi: 2. Andante [Sonatina No. 1 in C Major, Op. 36]
- Czerny: 1. Presto [The School of Velocity, Op. 299]
- Tiersen: 4. La Valse d'Amélie [Six Pieces for Piano, Volume 2]
- Debussy: Rêverie, L. 68
- Schubert: 3. Allegro moderato [6 Moments musicaux, Op. 94, D. 780]
- Grieg: 6. To Spring [Lyric Pieces Book III, Op. 43]
- Schumann: 8. Wilder Reiter [Album für die Jugend, Op. 68 / Part 1: Für Kleinere]
- Poulenc: 2. Staccato [Villageoises: Six petites pièces enfantines pour piano, FP 65]
- Huang: The Merry Shepherd Boy
- Sakamoto: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (Arr. for Piano)
- Badarzewska-Baranowska: The Maiden's Prayer, Op. 4
20.- 32. Mozart: Tema [12 Variations in C Major on "Ah, vous dirai-je Maman", K. 265]
- J.S. Bach: Minuet No. 1 in G Major, BWV Suppl. 114
- Kats-Chernin: 2. Eliza Aria (Arr. for Piano) [Wild Swans Suite]
- De Lulli: The Celebrated Chop Waltz
- Traditional: Jasmine Flower (Arr. for Piano Solo by Schindler)
- Ginastera: 2. Danza de la moza donosa [Danzas Argentinas, Op. 2]
- Traditional: Limu, limu, lima (Arr. by Schindler)
- Elgar: No. 9 "Nimrod" (Arr. for Solo Piano by Elgar) [Variations on an Original Theme, Op. 36 "Enigma"]
- Traditional: Arirang (Arr. for Piano Solo by Schindler)
- Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag