09 October 2019
The foundation, founded by Lang Lang back in 2008, is currently accepting applications for their Young Scholars Programme
The Young Scholars programme is a music education initiative designed to identify and support talented young pianists in their professional development. Every two years, Lang Lang and his teacher Gary Graffman, select a limited number of exceptionally talented young pianists from the United States to join the programme. The selected scholars receive mentorship, tutelage, unique performance opportunities, and become part of the Lang Lang Young Scholars Network.
As a Scholar, students participate in masterclasses from some of the most prominent teachers around the world and perform on internationally renowned stages. Selected scholars will have opportunities to attend international festivals, all of which are collaborations with our international partners.
From left to right: Man Hin Lung, Jeffrey Chin, Carey Byron, Jasper Heymann, Yim Ting Cheung, N/A, Aliya Alsafa, Shuheng Zhang, and Victor Shlyakhtenko
Festival opportunities include:
· Oxford Philomusica Piano Festival, UK
· Leeds International Piano Festival, UK
· Gilmore Keyboard Festival, USA
· Summer Music Summit, USA
· Switzerland Alps Classics
· Poland European Center of Music, EMANACJE Summer Festival
· Poland European Center of Music, Summer Music Academy
· Graduation Concert at Weill Recital Hall, Carnegie Hall, NY, USA
Earlier this year, three of the young scholars visited the UK. Aliya Alsafa, 15, Jasper Heymann, 17, and Shuheng Zhang, 15, performed at Leeds College of Music as part of the Leeds Piano Festival, before visiting Risley Primary School in London amongst other events.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
· Must be between the ages 6-16 at the time of their application
· Must be a resident of the United States of America
· Must have a classical piano repertoire
The application for Young Scholars 2020-2022 cycle is open now through to Oct 25, 2019.
Applicants can apply for the programme through the Foundation’s website here.