24 January 2020
By Ellie Palmer
We've gone a bit Beethoven mad!
As 2020 marks the 250th anniversary of Beethoven’s birth, what better way than to go Beethoven-crazy with an issue almost solely devoted to the composer?
Cover artist Igor Levit recently recorded the complete Piano Sonatas for Sony Classical – inside he talks to us about having lived and breathed Beethoven.
Readers will find the usual 40 pages of sheet music (totalling 12 full scores), which are worth over £20. Eight of these scores are devoted to Beethoven – ranging from the beginner-level Minuet in G to the profound, advanced-level slow movement from Op 10 No 3.
Each issue of Pianist magazine features masterclasses on hot piano-playing topics. Inside this issue you will find them on:
- How to master Beethoven-specific techniques, by Mark Tanner
- Exercises for intermediate and advanced-level pianists, by Graham Fitch (watch his accompanying video lesson, too)
- Beginner-level lesson on Beethoven’s Minuet in G (Melanie Spanswick)
- Intermediate-level lesson on the Allegro from Beethoven’s Sonatina in F Anh 5 No 2 (Nils Franke)
- Advanced-level lesson on the slow movement from Beethoven’s Sonata Op 10 No 3 (Lucy Parham)
Other features inside Pianist issue 112:
- Dame Fanny Waterman turns 100: An exclusive interview with ‘The Leeds’ founder
- Beethoven’s instrument: How different were the pianos of Beethoven’s time to those of today?
- Piano Teacher Help Desk: Choosing Beethoven repertoire that’s right for your pupils
- Concert pianists Jonathan Biss, Boris Giltburg, and Steven Osborne tell us what they’re going to be doing for Beethoven’s anniversary
Pianist magazine issue 112 is officially on sale. Find out more here.