17 December 2020
We may be in the middle of a pandemic, but that won't stop us continuing to celebrate Beethoven's 250th anniversary year!
Beethoven is just a gift that keeps on giving.
Over 700 works exist in his compositional repertoire – a quite incredible number made even more impressive by the fact they were written over approximately 45 years.
Below we've picked out 10 of our favourite live performances of Beethoven's works, which was a difficult task! They range from Igor Levit performing the 'Moonlight' Sonata, to Martha Argerich playing Piano Concerto No 1. Both have appeared on previous covers of Pianist, with Igor appearing on issue 112 - a Beethoven special.
Which is your favourite?
1. Igor Levit - Piano Sonata No. 14,
Op. 27 No. 2, 'Moonlight'
2. Krystian Zimerman - Piano Concerto No 3 in C minor, Op 37
3. Sviatoslav Richter - Beethoven Recital
4. Lang Lang - Piano Concerto No 1
5. Khatia Buniatishvili - Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Op. 15: III. Rondo
6. Hélène Grimaud - Piano Concerto No. 5 Emperor
7. Grigory Sokolov - Piano Sonata No. 10
8. Martha Argerich - Piano Concerto No. 1
9. Alice Sara Ott - Piano Concerto No.3
10. Valentina Lisitsa - 'Für Elise'
Our Beethoven special issue is now just £2.99. Download here and start playing 🎹
What other performances would you add to this list? Tweet us here and let us know.